Why be a member?
The ISDS is The Number One Sheep Dog Society in The World! Join Today!
 

Local Sheepdog Societies

There are two sheepdog societies in Wales, the North Wales Sheepdog Society and the South Wales Sheepdog Trials Association (SWSDTA). For more information about the societies, click on the links below.

North Wales Sheepdog Society

History: The Society started off as The Association of Sheepdog Trial Societies of North Wales and first met in the Liberal Club Caernarfon on December 6, 1930. It was at the request of the Nefyn & District Sheep Dog Trials Society that they first met in an attempt to avoid Trial Societies clashing.

It was decided to include Societies from Anglesey, Caernarfonshire, Denbighshire & Merionethshire.
The first Officers were: Chairman – Mr Jones, Nefyn; Vice – Chairman – Mr Booth, Llandudno; Hon. Treasurer – Mr W. Julian Jones, Barclays Bank, Nefyn; Hon. Secretary – Mr Geo Wood, Llandudno.

At this first meeting a list of judges, runners & dogs was drawn. In the second meeting it was decided that all meetings were to be conducted in Welsh. The Rt. Hon. Lord Mostyn  of Llandudno was appointed as President.

A Working Committee was elected as it was impossible to proceed with so many members attending. The first duty was to establish rules and the Membership Fee was fixed at 2/6 (12 1/2 p.)
The first Association Trials were held in Beaumaris in 1931.  At that time there were 22 Affiliated Societies and every competitor had to be a member if competing at any of the Affiliated Society Trials.

In 1955 a trial was arranged between teams from North Wales and South Wales.

South Wales Sheepdog Trials Association

History: The SWSDTA, originally known as the South Wales Sheep Dog Association, was formed on Friday, December 1st, 1950. With T. J. Cornelius installed as the President, the membership fee was set at 5 shillings per year and Life Memberships were £3/3- . The current membership fee is £10, and you can join online.

The first Executive meeting of the South Wales Sheep Dog Association was held in Cardiff on January 15th, 1951. At this meeting, the name was changed to the South Wales Sheep Dog Trials Association (SWSDTA, for short).The Constitution was formed at this meeting, and the first Association Trial was set for August 10th at Porthcawl.